The most comfortable way to camp in the Hurunui is in one of our amazing camping grounds - you'll have kitchens, bathrooms, laundrys and other facilities at your disposal.
Freedom camping (staying overnight out of campgrounds) is only permitted in vehicles which are certified as self-contained. While Rotherham has a designated freedom camping area, there are strict rules around where you can go elsewhere.
These are outlined in the Hurunui District Council Freedom Camping Bylaw. Breaches of the bylaw can incur a fine up to $20,000
- The rules
- Additional conditions
- Prohibited camping areas in the Hurunui District
- Local grey waste dump station locations
- Recycling and rubbish disposal
- Helpful Websites / Camping Apps
- Local camping ground & holiday park locations
- Respect our environment. Leave the site clear of all rubbish, waste and damage. Understand that dumping waste and litter is an offence and will result in instant fines or prosecution. Litter infringement - $400
- Act responsibly, and respect the access and enjoyment rights of other public space users.
- Have immediate access to a three day capacity toilet, wastewater collection and rubbish disposal facilities. Toilet and greywater must be disposed of in an approved campervan dump station.
- Use designated public spaces, camping areas (e.g. Department of Conservation sites) or commercial premises as available. Check with the local i-SITE (information centre), local council website or other camping guides if unsure of freedom camping sites in the area. Appreciate that some environmentally or culturally sensitive areas, and some built-up areas will not permit any form of freedom camping.
- Understand that freedom camping is a temporary activity, generally considered to be two days unless otherwise informed.
- Freedom camping is permitted in areas other than those listed below.
- Freedom camping must only be undertaken in a vehicle that is certified as self-contained and includes onboard cooking facilities.
- No person may undertake Freedom Camping for longer than two nights in any calendar month at any single location.
- Toilet waste and greywater must be disposed of at a Council-approved dump point.
- All refuse must be disposed of at an approved refuse collection facility.
- An area used for Freedom Camping must be left in a clean and tidy state by users.
- Any request made by an Authorised Officer to move on must be complied with.
- All areas where Hurunui District Council "No Camping or Overnight Parking" signs are displayed
- Any Urban Area
- Any area within 500 metres of any accommodation facility
- Any area in which freedom camping is prohibited by any other enactment
› Amberley Beach Campground, Amberley Beach Road
› Delhaven Motels & Caravan Park, 124 Carters Road
› Mobil Petrol Station, Carters Road
› just off State Highway 1 (town centre)
› Greta Valley Camping Ground, off State Highway 1
› Alpine Adventure Holiday Park, 200 Jacks Pass Road
› Alpine Holiday Apartments & Campground, 9 Fowlers Lane
› Hanmer River Holiday Park, 26 Medway Road
› Hanmer Springs TOP 10 Holiday Park, Hanmer Springs Road
› Pines Holiday Park, 158 Argelins Road
› Balmoral Recreation Reserve (beside the Hurunui River)
› Leithfield Beach Motor Camp, 18 Lucas Drive
› Waiau Motor Camp & Backpackers, 9 Highfield Street
› Waikari Domain, Princes Street
› Waipara Sleepers, Glenmark Drive
There are free recycling drop off points at the Amberley, Culverden, Hanmer Springs, Waiau and Waikari Transfer Stations for newspapers, magazines, food and drink cans, plastic bottles, cardboard and paper.
Recycle bins are located in Hanmer Springs (beside the library and Chisholm Crescent playground), Culverden (beside the public toilets), Cheviot township and Gore Bay. They take:
- flattened cardboard
- junk mail flyers
- glass bottles and jars (no lids & rinsed)
- food, drink and pet food cans (clean)
- plastic bottles
Travel smarter with CamperMate, the essential free New Zealand travel app that makes travelling around New Zealand easier than ever before! Get locations of public toilets, rubbish bins, campsites, free wifi, supermarkets and much more wherever you are in New Zealand.
DriveSafe.org.nz has been developed to help visitors to New Zealand safely enjoy their self-drive holiday. Driving is a great way to experience all New Zealand has to offer. But driving in New Zealand may be unlike driving in other countries. This site provides basic information about New Zealand road rules and etiquette, along with links to more details about everything that those unfamiliar with our roads need to know.
Tourist & Visitor Driving Theory Quiz. Are you coming to New Zealand for a holiday, work or study and hiring a car, motorbike or campervan? These 66 questions are the essential Road Code rules you need to know to help keep yourself safe on NZ's roads.
Freedom Camping in the Canterbury Region. The best way to explore the diverse region of Canterbury is via road. Self-contained vehicles give you the flexibility to stop often, explore the hidden gems and to experience the countryside like a local. As the Canterbury region is made up of several local authorities, it's important you're aware of the by-laws and freedom camping restrictions for each district.
Freedom Camping Etiquette. New Zealand is a country of pristine and breathtaking beauty and a great way to experience this is by Freedom Camping. In order to preserve our environment for visitors, locals and future generations to enjoy, please make yourself familiar with our Freedom Camping etiquette and the 'Kiwi' saying "leave only footprints".
Camp NZ. Where Can I Camp? Assume Nothing. Always Ask! New Zealand is a beautiful country. Help keep our cities, parks, beaches and native bush free from waste.
We have 11 Freedom Camping listings
+ Expand Map– Hide Map
Delhaven Motels & Caravan Park Featured
Address: 124 Carters Road, Amberley
Excellent stopover 45mins north of Christchurch, Hanmer Springs (55mins) and Kaikoura (1½ hr). Variety of accommodation at reasonable rates. Family units to budget. Ample parking. Park-like grounds. Swimming pool. Handy to Amberley Golf Course (5min dri ...
Pines Holiday Park Featured Popular
Free phone: 0800 404 046
Address: 158 Argelins Road, Hanmer Springs
A family park situated 600 metres from the village and thermal pools adjacent to the Hanmer Springs Golf Course, tennis courts and playground. Mountain bike hire available and 18 hole mini golf within the park. Power and tent sites are spacious, surround ...
Waiau Motor Camp Featured
Address: 9 Highfield Street, Waiau
Waiau Motor Camp is located on State Highway 70 between Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura. Quiet family and pet friendly camp site and budget accommodation in the hospitable town of Waiau, ideal for a local relaxing holiday and touring base. Take to the nearb ...
Alpine Adventure Holiday Park
Free phone: 0800 568 563
Fax: +64 3 315 7017
Address: 200 Jacks Pass Road, Hanmer Springs, 7334
Situated in 20 acres of park like settings, nestled amongst native and exotic forest at the base of Jacks Pass, clean, family environment. Accommodation available - self contained tourist flats, kitchen cabins, spacious powered sites and tent sites. Adv ...
Mt Lyford Lodge Featured
Address: 10 Mt Lyford Forest Drive, Mt Lyford
Alpine Holiday Apartments & Campground
Free phone: 0800 315 747
Address: 200 Jollies Pass Road, Hanmer Springs, 7334
Accommodation ranging from historic smithy (fully Self Contained with large fire, own patio, magnificent views!), to cosy economic kitchen cabins. Extensive gardens, set in a park-like setting with provision for both powered and non-powered campers. The ...
Hanmer Springs TOP 10 Holiday Park Featured Popular
Address: 5 Hanmer Springs Road, Hanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs Forest Camp Featured Popular
Address: 243 Jollies Pass Road, Hanmer Springs
Surrounded by forest and mountains yet only 2.3 kms from the centre of our Alpine Village, the Forest Camp is a wonderful smoke-free venue to get way from it all! We have facilities for individuals, families, groups, people with disabilities and school c ...
Address: 12 Glenmark Drive, Waipara
Waipara Sleepers delivers a unique experience, providing accommodation in a selection of converted historic railway wagons. Each retains its original period features and sits on it's own piece of track, wheels and all! Nestled within a real country garden ...
Cheviot Motels and Holiday Park
Address: 44 Ward Road, Cheviot, 7310
"The Quiet One" Set on 5 tranquil acres away from the busy State Highway 1 but still within walking distance of the town centre. Our 'Kiwiana' setting includes 6 newly refurbished motel units, 2 cabins (including Cheviot's original Jailhouse), 8 powered ...
Leithfield Beach Holiday Park
Address: 18 Lucas Drive, Leithfield Beach
Leithfield Beach Holiday Park is a family orientated seaside camp. The camp has full bathroom, laundry and kitchen facilities, a TV room and wireless internet provided by IKS (charges apply). The camp has sheltered sites, adjacent to the beach with a re ...