Here's a wee list of handy hints that will help you when travelling in the Hurunui.
- Heading north from Christchurch to Kaikoura the highway will be open during daylight hours (7am - 6pm) on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays, and closed to traffic on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The new regular open/closed schedule will take effect from Tuesday, 20 June and will run through to the end of September. Please check the following Traffic Information Map for update to date information before travelling.
- Alternative route to Kaikoura: The Inland Route 70 (via Waiau and Mt Lyford) is now open 24/7 with unrestricted access both ways. There are road works and speed restrictions in places so please keep an eye out. All road users are asked to take extra care and be prepared for the unexpected.
- Cheviot to Hanmer Springs: approx 10 minutes north of Cheviot you can use the Leader Road that will take you through to Waiau so you can head onto Hanmer Springs.
- Travelling inland is fine, although we are experiencing a higher volume of traffic because State Highway One north of Kaikoura is closed. Please note there are a lot of different road users on this route including a high number of trucks, please take care, take regular breaks and allow plenty of time for your trip.
Our Towns… All of our fabulous Hurunui towns are OPEN for business.
We’ve got a great selection of events coming up – check out www.visithurunui.co.nz/events for further information.
Planning a visit?
Great! We can’t wait to see you. Here are a few helpful websites:
- Travel Information for Canterbury and Marlborough Regions or call 0800 44 44 49
- Weather (MetService)
- Hanmer Springs
last updated: 15 June 2017