The Alpine Pacific Touring Route. It’s the new way to get from A to B while seeing the beauty of the Hurunui.
An extension of the old Alpine Pacific Triangle, it’s been lengthened to incorporate more of the region, stretching from Christchurch through to Kaikōura, Hanmer Springs and what’s known as ‘the coolest little wine region in the country,’ the North Canterbury Wine Region.
Explore the 450km route in sections or drive the whole thing - we’ll leave that up to you. But when you do find yourself driving through our special towns; look out for our favourite stops:
WAIPARA VALLEY - THE HEART OF NORTH CANTERBURY
The picturesque valley is home to our famous wine region - the 'North Caterbury Wine Region'. Just 45 minutes north of Christchurch, this beautiful spot is at the beginning of the new touring route. Waipara is a food and wine paradise that remains relatively undiscovered, with plenty to keep visitors happy.
Take the time to visit one of the vineyard restaurants, and a few of the many tasting rooms. To add to your gourmet experience, there are olive groves, nut farms and fields of lavender along the way.
- The Amberley Farmers Market
- Our wineries; Black Estate, Greystone Wines and Waipara Hills among others – there are so many!
- The Weka Pass Railway
CHEVIOT - OUR ‘DAFFODIL CAPITAL’
Featuring the cutest main street, Cheviot is the one stop destination for amazing coffee, scones and cake on the touring route.
It’s also home to St Anne’s Lagoon. A secluded spot just north of Cheviot, hidden amongst English trees and wildlife. Parking up by a picnic table with a view of the lagoon is our favourite spot for lunch.
- The array of blooming daffodils at the Cheviot domain in spring!
- Cheviot museum
- Gore Bay – just a five-minute drive from the main town. Gore Bay is a swimming and surfing haven! The rock pools are popular with tourists too.
THE LOG CABIN VILLAGE OF MT LYFORD
The one-stop winter destination and a popular with tourists too. Escape for a night or more to the log cabins. Staying at the picturesque village on top of the mountain is a surreal experience not to be missed. During the day, the ski resort and park is a hit on the peak of the mountain, or just relax in the spa on your deck.
It’s the perfect getaway and a unique stop. It’s like no other on the touring route so far.
- Mt Lyford Alpine Ski Resort! Snowboard or ski to your heart’s content.
- A spa on the deck of your log cabin
- The Lodge’s bar and restaurant
THE ALPINE SPA REGION OF HANMER SPRINGS
The resort town of Hanmer Springs is an attractive year-round holiday destination for adventure, relaxation and indulgence. Surrounded by dramatic mountains and towering forests, this charming town has a main street filled with boutique shops, cafés and eateries.
Hanmer Spring’s gets its name from the natural geothermal springs which have shaped the tourist destination to the thriving spot that it is today. The Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa is a must stop on a cold winters day or even in the Summer. Steaming hot pools or a cold lazy river is absolute bliss.
- The array of adventure activities - try Bungy Jumping, Jetboating, Rafting, Quad Biking, Canoeing, Paintball and Claybird Shooting.
- Hanmer Animal Park – take the kids along to feed wallabies, farm animals and more!
- Spa treatments – fancy a massage?
- Conical Hill - for mountain biking or walking adventures.