A cold and frosty winter is not all bad! Especially with our top five winter destinations. They’re our secret snow-capped gems, but we thought we better share them.
- Kick off winter in the toasty warm Mt Lyford log cabins. They really are a winter treat. Cosy up in front of the log burners and take your pick from the books and DVDs on the bookshelves. With no cell phone reception, we promise it will be a true winter escape.
- Hot fish and chips by the Gore Bay seaside are a must on a frosty winters day. You can’t beat that feeling of fresh, sea-side air after being locked up in a heated office all week. In the quiet atmosphere of winter, you may find some curious creatures too. If you’re after a proper break, our kiwi baches dotted along the Hurunui coastline are a lovely winter getaway.
- Dig out the trainers and take a stunning walk up Mt Cass or Mt Grey – See the steam on your breath and warm up your cold winter-self on our best kept secrets. It seems like a hike but the panoramic views at the top over the frosty plains and snow-capped mountains make the walk more than worth it!
- Tobogganing! Pretty much anywhere in the Hurunui. Grab an old laundry basket, a hardy rubbish bag or a tarpaulin and go crazy. Snow angels after a day sliding down the slopes have never felt so good. Check out our top tips here!
- A short drive from Christchurch will take you to the steaming hot pools of the popular Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa. Hide amongst the pines in the alpine spa capital Hanmer Springs. The sensation of hot tempered pools, ranging in degrees from cool to scorching is an absolute treat.
stdClass Object ( [urla] => http://visithurunui.co.nz/tourist-tips/travelling-and-transport [urlatext] => [targeta] => [urlb] => [urlbtext] => [targetb] => [urlc] => [urlctext] => [targetc] => )
stdClass Object ( [urla] => http://visithurunui.co.nz/the-region/attractions-map [urlatext] => [targeta] => [urlb] => [urlbtext] => [targetb] => [urlc] => [urlctext] => [targetc] => )
Attractions Map EXPLORE NOW