Summer is in full swing in the Hurunui, even though Mother Nature isn't necessarily giving us the ideal summer weather.
But don’t put off your summer plans… get in the car, jump on a bike, step on a bus and visit the Hurunui district today.
- Heading north from Christchurch: State Highway One north to Kaikoura is open, although it can close at short notice when it rains or in bad weather. Please check the following Traffic Information Map before travelling to Kaikoura via this route.
- Alternative route to Kaikoura: The Inland Route 70 (via Waiau and Mt Lyford) is now open 24/7 with unrestricted access both ways. There are speed restrictions and no stopping areas which everyone using the route is asked to strictly adhere to. The average travel time for the 90km route from Waiau to Kaikoura is about two hours. The route remain hazardous and fragile and all road users are asked to take extra care and be prepared for the unexpected.
- Cheviot to Hanmer Springs: approx 10 minutes north of Cheviot you can use the Leader Road that will take you through to Waiau so you can head onto Hanmer Springs.
- Travelling inland is fine, although we are experiencing a higher volume of traffic because State Highway One north of Kaikoura is closed.
Our Towns… All of our fabulous Hurunui towns are open for business.
What’s On? We’ve got a great selection of events coming up this summer and into 2017 – check out www.visithurunui.co.nz/events for further information.
Planning a visit? Great! We can’t wait to see you. Here are a few helpful websites:
- Travel Information for Canterbury and Marlborough Regions or call 0800 44 44 49
- Weather (MetService)
- Hanmer Springs